Saturday 7 May 2011

Contador focuses on giro d italia,directs pressure on Nibali

Italy (UN) - Alberto Contador says he does not let his ongoing Clenbuterol case to distract his attention come in the Giro d'Italia and defended his right to stand in line for the start of the season Saturday the first grand tour.

Riders from a number of teams left out of the Giro d'Italia because of unanswered questions about possible links to doping, including BMC's Alessandro Ballan and Mauro Satambrogio and riders from Lampre, but Contador said his case is different.

"I do not know the situation with the other riders, but my situation is different," Contador said at a news conference Friday. "I know what is going on in my case. I've been cleared and I am hopeful for a favorable outcome. You can not make comparisons between that case and mine."

Contador is back on the Giro for the first time since winning the maglia rosa in 2008 but started the race under controversial circumstances in the case of clenbuterol are continuing last year's Tour de France is still unresolved.

Contador has been officially approved for racing since February, when the Spanish cycling federation decided in his favor. Both UCI and the World Anti-Doping Agency's appeal that decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

CAS officials have said they hope the caso Contador requirement for the start of the Tour in July, but will certainly not before the Giro is complete. CAS, the Spanish federation could decide whether to ban him two years and disqualification from the 2010 Tour title.

On Friday, Contador said all he can do is focus on the Giro and hope that the sport court agrees with his argument that the traces of clenbuterol were found in his system after eating contaminated meat.

"I'd rather not think about it and I'm only focused on the sporting aspect now," Contador told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "The case for CAS is ahead, but I have full confidence in the people who work for me and that a favorable result."

Contador said he returned to the Giro in part because of his business, but he also said he hopes to race the Tour de France.

"It is possible to do both. I also think of the Tour as well," he said. "But now I am on the Giro and I'm not thinking about anything else."

Contador is also trying to relieve himself and direct it toward Vincenzo Nibali as the top favorite for the Giro starts Saturday with victory as a team time trial in Turin.

The Spanish rider said the weight of the Italians to enter the race, despite heavy pressure on Contador the Giro to win.

"Others have more pressure than I like Vincenzo Nibali and Michele Scarponi. Geox Even with Menchov. It is their big race of the year. They have more pressure than I do," said Contador. "All riders try to push the others and in this case it is my turn. In 2009, the same team with Lance Armstrong, I was busy. Now everyone expected me to win, but I come to this Giro with a different mindset. I'm very excited and motivated, but I will from day to day. "

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Facebook Themes